According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), opioids killed more than 42,000 people in 2016 and 40% of those deaths involve a prescription opioid.
The construction industry has one of the highest injury rates when compared to other industries and opioids have commonly been prescribed to construction workers to treat the pain caused by these occupational injuries. Since use of opioids has led to addiction and overdose deaths, it is important for workers to understand the risks and alternatives.
The following resources contain information about opioid deaths, prevention, and pain management alternatives.
- Opioid Deaths in Construction Hazard Alert, also available in Spanish.
- Opioid Deaths in Construction Toolbox Talk, also available in Spanish.
- Physicians’ Alert – Pain Management for Construction Workers Updated*
- Protect Yourself from an Opioid Overdose Infographic NEW* also available in Spanish.
- Opioids topic page
- Key Questions Guiding the Framework
- Fentanyl topic page
- Fentanyls and the safety of first responders: Science and recommendations article
- Prescription Drug Overdose Prevention topic page
- NIOSH Science Blog blog
- A NIOSH Role in Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention blog
- The Opioid Overdose Epidemic and the Workplace blog
- Using Naloxone to Reverse Opioid Overdose in the Workplace: Information for Employers and Workers *New* factsheet
- Opioid Overdose topic page
- Opioid Basics topic page
- Overdose Prevention topic page
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain clinical tools for health care providers
- Non-opioid Treatments for Chronic Pain handout
- Manage Your Pain, Minimize Your Risk poster
- Rx Awareness An awareness campaign with videos, radio spots, social media, signs & billboards, online ads
- Occupational Patterns in Unintentional and Undetermined Drug-Involved and Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths — United States, 2007–2012A Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) *New*
NABTU Task Force:
- New Insights into the Opioid Crisis and Work: Important Information for Workers and Employers listen to CPWR’s Executive Director presenting in a recent webinar on the opioid crisis and construction
- ConstructorCast: The Opioid Crisis & Construction listen to CPWR’s Executive Director talk about the opioid crisis and construction in this recent podcast
- Prescription Drug Employer Kit resources for employers
- Substance Use Cost Calculator provides information on the cost to a business of substance use in their workplace
- Order Free Resources to Reduce Opioid Risk free supplies to safely and securely dispose of prescription drugs and labels to prompt a conversation with your medical provider
- Stop Everyday Killers promotes awareness and features stories from people who lost someone to the opioids epidemic
- Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic: Painkillers Driving Addiction, Overdose: provides information on the epidemic
- Unused Medication Disposal Resources provides information on what you can do to fight the epidemic
- Prescription Drug Abuse: For Providers provides information for health care providers
- Prescription Opioids drug facts
- Opioids and Worker Health *New* listen to CPWR’s Executive Director speak on opioids and worker health in this podcast
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration free national confidential hotline and other resources
- Publications and Resources on Prescription Drug Misuse and Abuse links to publications, best practices, national strategies and initiatives, training and education, and webinars
- Addiction Resource Hub database of addiction resources from community events to treatment
Washington State L&I:
- Prescribing Opioids to Treat Pain in Injured Workers resources for health care providers
- DOT Drug Testing topic page
- Overview of Drug and Alcohol Rules information from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for drivers and employers
Other Reports & News:
- Workers Overdose On The Job, And Employers Struggle To Respond article by Kaiser Health News
- Opioid-related Overdose Deaths in Massachusetts by Industry and Occupation, 2011-2015 report by the Occupational Health Surveillance Program at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health looking at the industry and occupation of those who died of opioid overdose between 2011-2015
- Study links opioid deaths to workplace injuries article by The Boston Globe
- Construction And Fishing Industries Have Highest Opioid OD Death Rates In Mass. article by 90.9 WBUR-FM, Boston’s NPR news station.
- Ohio construction workers seven times more likely to die of an opioid overdose in 2016 article by Cleveland Metro News.