In response to the construction industry’s questions regarding the COVID-19 outbreak, the following are steps everyone should be taking now:
• If you are feeling sick, do not go to work.
• Don’t shake hands when greeting others.
• Try to stay three to six feet away from others in gatherings, meetings, and training sessions.
• Avoid contact with sick people.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
• It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
Construction industry employers should also:
• Plan for office staff to have the ability to work from home.
• Provide soap and running water on all jobsites for frequent handwashing.
• Provide hand sanitizer when soap and running water are impossible.
• If you work in healthcare facilities, train your workers in Infection Control Risk Assessment—for information on this training program offered through CPWR, visit: https://www.cpwr.com/training/infection-control-risk-assessment-icra
Special guidance for travel:
Individuals at high risk for complications from COVID-19 should follow the current CDC’s guidance:
• Currently, older adults and persons with underlying health conditions, such as heart or lung disease or diabetes, are considered to be at increased risk for severe illness and complications from COVID-19. People in high-risk groups should consult with their healthcare provider about attending large events. (See: CDC guidance)
• Older adults and travelers with underlying health conditions should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.
This entails avoiding crowded places and avoiding nonessential travel such as long plane trips. (See: CDC guidance for travel)
For additional questions about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and tips on staying safe, visit the links below:
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Resources
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Resources on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19):
- From CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/ind
- Interim Guidance for Business and Employers
- National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH)
Department of Labor (DOL) Coronavirus Resources
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) COVID-19 overview
- OSHA Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19