Investing in Infrastructure
North America’s Building Trades Unions (NABTU), along with its fourteen affiliated unions representing nearly three million skilled craft professionals in the United States and Canada, and its contractor partners, have long supported a broad-based, aggressive investment strategy to meet our infrastructure needs and provide for sustained job opportunities for our members. NABTU has consistently supported efforts to:
- Fixes our roads and bridges that are in dire need of repair.
- Strengthens our nation’s airport infrastructure to reduce congestion and increase safety.
- Increases funding for water projects that improve water quality and lead to increased economic development.
- Retrofits our public buildings to make them energy efficient.
- Strengthen our energy infrastructure to ensure the safe delivery of affordable energy sources to cities, businesses, and homes.
- Increases investment in public infrastructure through innovative financing mechanisms such as Public-Private Partnerships (P3s).
- Invest in the future by building new schools.
- Cut red tape by continuing to reform the permitting process.
- Protect the dignity of working Americans by maintaining hard-fought labor standards.
Led by President Biden and bipartisan majorities in the House and Senate, on November 15, 2021, years of advocacy by business, industry and labor culminated in the signing of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (PL 117-58). This landmark legislation will create countless job opportunities for construction workers across the nation, reflects the infrastructure priorities on which NABTU has advocated for decades, and maintains and expands hard-fought labor standards that are essential to ensuring the creation of good, family-sustaining jobs. This legislation will truly lay a foundation for a vibrant 21st Century economy.
More detailed information on the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act can be found at Build.gov.